Vector Portrait

Whelp, here is my final portrait! This was the most challenging project so far since I’m not used to Illustrator (and I’m starting to suspect the app enjoys tormenting me with random glitches and crashes). ANYWAY, even though this was challenging I found I learned a lot from doing the project.

I now have a better understanding of the pen tool, which is quite great when you figure out how it works. I also know more about layers and how far basic shapes can go in an illustration. Even though I was frustrated at times, I hope to come back to Illustrator on my own time and pick up drawing again.

Here’s the final version of my portrait.


For my colour harmony I chose to do something that looks strange. I’m a huge fan of the horror and fantasy genres, so this particular colour choice reminded me of a monster/zombie series of portraits—which would be totally awesome as a concept! The pink eyes and blue lips really give the portrait a creepy effect. Love it! Unfortunately, I couldn’t change the pattern on my shirt because of the pattern swatch giving me issues. Maybe one day I’ll figure out what went wrong with it…



Colour Correction


Here’s the original image that I started working with. I was able to experience the Disney princess life by feeding seeds to chickadees out of my hand, and in return, they let me take pictures of them.


Colour Corrected

In order to correct the colour of the image, I used a combination of three Photoshop tools:

  • levels
  • curves
  • vibrance

As you can tell, the chickadee’s colours didn’t change too much, but the tree branches exposed a nice green lichen after colour correction.


Black and White

And here’s the black and white version of the image. I used the Adjustments Black and White tool with the scrubber to adjust areas of the image.


And here’s the link to the html version:

Typeface Event Poster

I chose to do the poster for WordCamp in Toronto. It’s a WordPress event. I wanted a minimalist approach to the poster, mostly because there’s not too much to go off for the event in terms of images. I also really liked the swatch colours that appear in the poster. They’re bright and attention grabbing.

The designs for WordCamp over the years have been quite different from  year to year. This gave me a little free range to design something different but not too different from what people were expecting. The 2014 website is here and the 2015 one is here for comparison.

For the logo, I chose contrasting typefaces. I liked the sans serif in the logo, so I looked up sans serif fonts for the body text. I found the body typefaces on Behance. I really liked what the designer did with their presentation and decided it’d go really well with what I was trying to achieve with the poster. Big John and Slim Joe typefaces are available for free here.

Originally, I had the WordPress logo in the middle section, but the poster looked a little too plain. I traced out the Toronto skyline to add some detail  but also keeping to the minimalist design.


Cafe Brochure

My brochure is for a cat cafe. Since cat cafes are fun and inviting I tried to get that across in my design through colours, typefaces, and images. I applied paragraph, character, and object styles to streamline the layout process.

The cat silhouette and paw were drawn in Illustrator. I decided to include the cat paw to create a cat-themed unity throughout the brochure. The heading font is a script for the “fun” element of the design and the serif font was chosen for readability in print.

I sourced more cat photos since those are ultimately what brings people to a cat cafe. The cuter the better!

Overall, I kept the design simple and minimal.





Type Pairing Assignment

Originally I wanted to stick to an older style, so to use a lot of serifs. These fables also remind me of handwritten manuscripts. I hoped to find a typeface for a cool drop caps, but ended up just sticking to the Google fonts for the assignment—I especially like the W in Woodman. I sourced an image with water since the fable has a river in it.

I realized after I began doing the layout that the actual story was pretty long so I had a lot of different layout designs going to try to fit the text in the space and over the image. It turned out more modern than when I began brainstorming.

Here’s my take on the type pairing assignment.


Retouching Images and Using the Clone Tool

Retouched Images

Here I chose an image from a Google search. I’m pretty sure it’s a famous model or something. I used the healing tool in PSD to touch up any skin imperfections and to smooth out her skin, as well as remove stray eyebrow hairs and retouch the lips. A blur effect was added on top of the layer to create smoother skin and a glow. I’ve included the before and after images below.

Clone Tool

I only used the clone tool for this exercise. I remove the sheep in the upper left corner by sampling the ground in front of it and slowly replaced it. I then added a second mutant head to the main sheep by selecting the sheep’s face and cloning it.

Using Photoshop Brushes and Other Tools

Making the Brush

For Friday’s Photoshop class we were tasked with creating custom brushes and editing a photograph. I started off with the below image to create my duck brush. I quick selected the image and then made corrections to the selection using the Quick Mask Mode.


Original Image

I selected a landscape image I had in my files. I made a copy of the background layer and worked from there.


Completed Image

After making the duck a brush, I placed three of the images around the image. I created a trees layer to hide the ducks and added some laser eyes. I brightened up the trees as well. Tada!


Here’s the html version: